Recent HSE guidance for directors and senior managers suggests that:
- The board needs to accept formally and publicly its collective role in providing health and safety leadership in its organisation.
- Each member of the board needs to accept their individual role in providing health and safety leadership for their organisation.
- The board needs to ensure that all board decisions reflect its health and safety intentions, as articulated in the health and safety policy statement.
- The board needs to recognise its role in engaging the active participation of workers in improving health and safety.
- Health and Safety legislation.
- Principles of Health and Safety Management.
- Health and Safety management standards – TQM / OHSAS18001.